[openstack-dev] [Ironic] January review redux

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 19:42:25 UTC 2014

The last month and a half had most of our team out for holiday leave at
some point, and the review stats reflect that. I had hoped our review queue
would come down once we all got back from the holidays, but that hasn't
happened. In fact, our review queue has grown significantly .... Perhaps
it's a combination of the usual nearing-end-of-cycle-rush and our gate
breaking twice in the last 10 days....

Here are the stats for the last month [1]

Total reviews: 569 (19.0/day)
 Total reviewers: 28 (avg 0.7 reviews/day)
Total reviews by core team: 211 (7.0/day)
 Core team size: 6 (avg 1.2 reviews/day)
New patch sets in the last 30 days: 347 (11.6/day)
 Changes involved in the last 30 days: 119 (4.0/day)
New changes in the last 30 days: 93 (3.1/day)
 Changes merged in the last 30 days: 56 (1.9/day)
Changes abandoned in the last 30 days: 13 (0.4/day)
 Changes left in state WIP in the last 30 days: 4 (0.1/day)
Queue growth in the last 30 days: 20 (0.7/day)
 Average number of patches per changeset: 2.9

And here are the current / average stats [2]

 Total Open Reviews: 48
 Waiting on Submitter: 16
 Waiting on Reviewer: 32
 Stats since the latest revision:
  Average wait time: 6 days, 21 hours, 8 minutes
  1rd quartile wait time: 3 days, 15 hours, 59 minutes
  Median wait time: 5 days, 13 hours, 4 minutes
  3rd quartile wait time: 10 days, 6 hours, 2 minutes
  Number waiting more than 7 days: 14

I would very much like to add a few people to our core review team. We need
to increase the pace of reviews to keep up with development, particularly
as we approach our most aggressive milestone and prepare for our first
release. I'd also like to improve our non-US-timezone coverage.

So, I'd like to nominate the following two additions to the ironic-core
team:

Max Lobur
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/reviewer:mlobur%2540mirantis.com+project:openstack/ironic,n,z

Roman Prykhodchenko
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/reviewer:rprikhodchenko%2540mirantis.com+project:openstack/ironic,n,z

I believe that the review feedback that I've seen from both of them shows a
good understanding of the project architecture and the direction that I'd
like Ironic to go.

Max has been consistently reviewing patches for the last few months. His
input has been very valuable in spotting issues early on, and clearly show
a good grasp of the project's architecture. He is frequently engaged with
the existing team during discussions in IRC and in the weekly meetings.

Roman was involved in Ironic early on, then spent a few months focusing on
our devstack and tempest patches [3]. He continues to help with the
ironic-related work in those projects, is engaged in discussions both in
channel and during meetings, and has resumed doing reviews on a regular
basis.

With this, we would have one core in NZ, two in US, and three in EU time
zones.

Regards,
Devananda

[1] - http://russellbryant.net/openstack-stats/ironic-reviewers-30.txt