[openstack-dev] Asynchrounous programming: replace eventlet with asyncio

victor stinner victor.stinner at enovance.com
Tue Feb 4 18:07:04 UTC 2014

Hi Joshua,

> Why not just create a eventlet "micro" version that underneath uses asyncio?
> Then code isn't riddled with yield from or Return() or similar. It seems
> possible (maybe?) to replace the eventlet hub with one that uses asyncio?
> This is then a nice change for all those who are using eventlet.

I don't understand what do you expect from replacing the eventlet event loop with asyncio event loop. It's basically the same.

The purpose of replacing eventlet with asyncio is to get a well defined control flow, no more surprising task switching at random points.

You may read the report of Guido van Rossum's keynote at Pycon 2013, he explains probably better than me how asyncio is different from other asynchronous frameworks:
http://lwn.net/Articles/544522/

For more information, see my notes about asyncio:
http://haypo-notes.readthedocs.org/asyncio.html#talks-about-asyncio

Victor