[openstack-dev] [nova] massive number of new errors in logs with oslo.messaging

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Tue Feb 4 17:30:57 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 7:13 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> Just noticed this at the end of a successful run:
>

> http://logs.openstack.org/15/63215/13/check/check-tempest-dsvm-full/2636cae/console.html#_2014-02-02_12_02_44_422
>
> It looks like the merge of oslo.messaging brings a huge amount of false
> negative error messages in the logs. Would be good if we didn't ship
> icehouse with this state of things.

oslo.messaging differentiates between "expected" exceptions and
"unexpected" exceptions. Endpoints that are known to report errors to the
caller can be wrapped with a decorator that causes those exceptions to be
handled without logging; anything else is logged.

Some of the exceptions from the nova endpoints are being handled, but it
looks like subclasses are not. I've proposed a fix in oslo.messaging for
this [1], although an argument could be made that subclasses should be
listed explicitly, too, so I don't know if we really want this change.

Doug

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/71035/