[openstack-dev] [Nova] Putting nova-network support into the V3 API

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 11:36:40 UTC 2014

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 11:37:29 +0100
Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

> Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
> > <mailto:joe.gordon0 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >>
> >> John and I discussed a third possibility:
> >>
> >> nova-network v3 should be an extension, so the idea was to: Make
> >> nova-network API a subset of neturon (instead of them adopting our
> >> API we adopt theirs). And we could release v3 without nova network
> >> in Icehouse and add the nova-network extension in Juno.
> >
> > This would actually be my preferred approach if we can get consensus
> > around this. It takes a lot of pressure off this late in the cycle
> > and there's less risk around having to live with a nova-network API
> > in V3 that still has some rough edges around it. I imagine it will
> > be quite a while before we can deprecate the V2 API so IMO going
> > one cycle without nova-network support is not a big thing.
>
> So user story would be, in icehouse release (nothing deprecated yet):
> v2 + nova-net: supported
> v2 + neutron: supported
> v3 + nova-net: n/a
> v3 + neutron: supported
>
> And for juno:
> v2 + nova-net: works, v2 could be deprecated
> v2 + neutron: works, v2 could be deprecated
> v3 + nova-net: works through extension, nova-net could be deprecated

So to be clear the idea I think is that nova-net of "v3 + nova-net"
would look like the neutron api. Eg nova-net API from v2 would look
quite different to 'nova-net' API from v3. To minimise the transition
pain for users on V3 moving to a neutron based cloud. Though those
moving from v2 + nova-net to v3 + nova-net would have to cope with more changes.