[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Interest in discussing vendor plugins for L3 services?

Paul Michali pcm at cisco.com
Mon Feb 3 22:19:35 UTC 2014

I'd like to see if there is interest in discussing vendor plugins for L3 services. The goal is to strive for consistency across vendor plugins/drivers and across service types (if possible/sensible). Some of this could/should apply to reference drivers as well. I'm thinking about these topics (based on questions I've had on VPNaaS - feel free to add to the list):

How to handle vendor specific validation (e.g. say a vendor has restrictions or added capabilities compared to the reference drivers for attributes).
Providing "client" feedback (e.g. should help and validation be extended to include vendor capabilities or should it be delegated to server reporting?)
Handling and reporting of errors to the user (e.g. how to indicate to the user that a failure has occurred establishing a IPSec tunnel in device driver?)
Persistence of vendor specific information (e.g. should new tables be used or should/can existing reference tables be extended?).
Provider selection for resources (e.g. should we allow --provider attribute on VPN IPSec policies to have vendor specific policies or should we rely on checks at connection creation for policy compatibility?)
Handling of multiple device drivers per vendor (e.g. have service driver determine which device driver to send RPC requests, or have agent determine what driver requests should go to - say based on the router type)
If you have an interest, please reply to me and include some days/times that would be good for you, and I'll send out a notice on the ML of the time/date and we can discuss.

Looking to hearing form you!

PCM (Paul Michali)

MAIL          pcm at cisco.com
IRC            pcm_  (irc.freenode.net)
TW            @pmichali
GPG key    4525ECC253E31A83
Fingerprint 307A 96BB 1A4C D2C7 931D 8D2D 4525 ECC2 53E3 1A83