[openstack-dev] [glance][nova]improvement-of-accessing-to-glance

Mark Washenberger mark.washenberger at markwash.net
Mon Feb 3 18:59:50 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 7:13 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 10:03 +0100, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> > IMHO, the bit that should really be optimized is the selection of the
> > store nodes where the image should be downloaded from. That is,
> > selecting the nearest location from the image locations and this is
> > something that perhaps should happen in glance-api, not nova.
>
> I disagree. The reason is because glance-api does not know where nova
> is. Nova does.
>
> I continue to think that the best performance gains will come from
> getting rid of glance-api entirely, putting the block-streaming bits
> into a separate Python library, and having Nova and Cinder pull
> image/volume bits directly from backend storage instead of going through
> the glance middleman.

When you say get rid of glance-api, do you mean the glance server project?
or glance-api as opposed to glance-registry? If its the latter, I think
we're basically in agreement. However, there may be a little bit of a
terminology distinction that is important. Here is the plan that is
currently underway:

1) Deprecate the registry deployment (done when v1 is deprecated)
2) v2 glance api talks directly to the underlying database (done)
3) Create a library in the images program that allows OpenStack projects to
share code for reading image data remotely and picking optimal paths for
bulk data transfer (In progress under the "glance.store" title)
4) v2 exposes locations that clients can directly access (partially done,
continues to need a lot of improvement)
5) v2 still allows downloading images from the glance server as a
compatibility and lowest-common-denominator feature

In 4, some work is complete, and some more is planned, but we still need
some more planning and design to figure out how to support directly
downloading images in a secure and general way.

Cheers,
markwash