[openstack-dev] Python 3 compatibility

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Mon Feb 3 16:29:57 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 03 2014, Sylvain Bauza wrote:

> I was at the FOSDEM event this week-end and some interesting talks about
> asyncio raised  my interest about this framework for replacing eventlet.
>
> Although there is an experimental port of asyncio for Python >2.6 named
> trollius [1], I think it would be a good move for having Python 3.
>
> I know there were some regular meetings previously, but it seems the
> interest decreased. Would it make sense to resume this effort and maybe do
> a quick inventory of what's missing for supporting Python 3.3 ?
>
> In particular, which external requirements are still missing Py3
> compatibility and what is the status for the Oslo incubated libraries ?

There's https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Python3 but it's not (always) up
to date.

The interest never decreased, but it's always have been a long term
effort and it's not going to be finished tomorrow.

There's a team of people working among OpenStack projects to add support
of Python 3 in various places already, and some clients are already
working.

One of the main blocker has been oslo-incubator which was not ported to
Python. But if my plan comes together, we'll be able to partially gate
on py33 this week.

Last, but not least, trollius has been created by Victor Stinner, who
actually did that work with porting OpenStack in mind and as the first
objective.

--
Julien Danjou
;; Free Software hacker ; independent consultant