[openstack-dev] [glance][nova]improvement-of-accessing-to-glance

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Mon Feb 3 16:04:46 UTC 2014

On 03/02/14 10:13 -0500, Jay Pipes wrote:
>On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 10:03 +0100, Flavio Percoco wrote:
>> IMHO, the bit that should really be optimized is the selection of the
>> store nodes where the image should be downloaded from. That is,
>> selecting the nearest location from the image locations and this is
>> something that perhaps should happen in glance-api, not nova.
>
>I disagree. The reason is because glance-api does not know where nova
>is. Nova does.

Nova doesn't know where glance is either. More info is required in
order to finally do something smart here. Not sure what the best
approach is just yet but as mentioned in my previous email I think
focusing on the stores for now is the thing to do. (As you pointed out
bellow too).

>I continue to think that the best performance gains will come from
>getting rid of glance-api entirely, putting the block-streaming bits
>into a separate Python library, and having Nova and Cinder pull
>image/volume bits directly from backend storage instead of going through
>the glance middleman.

This is exactly what we're doing by pulling glance.store into its own
library. I'm working on this myself. We are not completely getting rid
of glance-api but we're working on not depending on it to get the
image data.

Cheers,
flaper