[openstack-dev] Cinder Stability Hack-a-thon

Eric Harney eharney at redhat.com
Mon Feb 3 15:28:59 UTC 2014

On 02/03/2014 04:11 AM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> On 01/02/14 00:06 -0800, Mike Perez wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> I would love to get people together who are interested in Cinder
>> stability to really dedicate a few days. This is not for additional
>> features, but rather finishing what we already have and really getting
>> those in a good shape before the end of the release.
>>
>> When: Feb 24-26
>> Where: San Francisco (DreamHost Office can host), Colorado, remote?
>>
>> Some ideas that come to mind:
>>
>> - Cleanup/complete volume retype
>> - Cleanup/complete volume migration [1][2]
>> - Other ideas that come from this thread.
>>

> As an occasional contributor to Cinder, I think it would benefit a lot
> if new tests were added. There are some areas that are lacking of
> tests - AFAICT - and other tests that seem to be inconsistent with the
> rest of the test suite. This has caused me some frustrations in the
> past. I don't have good examples handy but if I have some free time
> between the 24th and 26th, I'll look into that and raise them in the
> IRC channel.

I've gotten the same feeling, and have had some ideas around improving
the LVM and base volume tests to improve structure and coverage that I'd
like to work on.  (Though some of those may have been implemented already.)

> That said, I think folks participating should also look forward to add
> more tests during those hacking days. Ensuring that features (not just
> methods and functions ) are fully covered is important.

This may also fit in nicely with the effort around moving to mock, which
I expect will reveal issues in tests and improve things a good bit as we
pick through them while converting to the new framework.

> Great initiative Mike!

Definitely agreed.