[openstack-dev] [nova] massive number of new errors in logs with oslo.messaging

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon Feb 3 12:36:23 UTC 2014

On 02/02/2014 08:33 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-02-02 at 07:13 -0500, Sean Dague wrote:
>> Just noticed this at the end of a successful run:
>>
>> http://logs.openstack.org/15/63215/13/check/check-tempest-dsvm-full/2636cae/console.html#_2014-02-02_12_02_44_422
>>
>> It looks like the merge of oslo.messaging brings a huge amount of false
>> negative error messages in the logs. Would be good if we didn't ship
>> icehouse with this state of things.
>
> Agreed.
>
> And the error messages, which look like this:
>
> Returning exception Unexpected task state: expecting [u'scheduling',
> None] but the actual state is deleting to caller
>
> don't make sense -- at least in the English language.
>
> What does "the actual state is deleting to caller" mean?

I'm going to try to translate, with no real context:

I'm trying to return a state to the caller. While trying to do that,
I've encountered an unexpected task state. I was expecting the state to
be [u'scheduling', None'] but instead I seem to have discovered that the
state was in fact, deleting. I'm freaked out by this, so instead of
returning a task state to the caller, I'm going to return an exception.

If the above is correct, I'd say that this is pretty terrible. We
probably don't need to log that we're returning a state. That's crazy
detailed. If we _do_ encounter an exception, we probably shouldn't
encapsulate the exception state and try to return it as the state text.