[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Ironic] Roadmap towards heterogenous hardware support

Jaromir Coufal jcoufal at redhat.com
Sun Feb 2 19:03:11 UTC 2014

On 2014/30/01 12:59, Ladislav Smola wrote:
 > On 01/30/2014 12:39 PM, Jiří Stránský wrote:
 >> On 01/30/2014 11:26 AM, Tomas Sedovic wrote:

[snip]

 > I am for implementing support for Heterogeneous hardware properly,
 > lifeless should post what he recommends soon, so I would rather discuss
 > that. We should be able to do simple version in I.
Nobody ever said that any implementation of heterogeneous should be
wrong or poor. This is misinterpretation.

 > Lowest common denominator doesn't solve storage vs. compute node. If we
 > really have similar hardware, we don't care about, we can just fill the
 > nova-baremetal/ironic specs the same as the flavor.
I disagree with this point. This approach of yours will bring super huge
confusion for the end user. Asking user to enter same values for
different hardware specs will be huge mistake. User is required to enter
the reality, it's up to us, how we will help him to make his life easier.

 > Why would we want to see in UI that the hardware is different, when we
 > can't really determine what goes where.
Because it is reality.

 > And as you say "assume homogenous hardware and treat it as such". So
 > showing in UI that the hardware is different doesn't make any sense then.
This might be just wrong wording, but 'assume homogenous hardware and
treat it as such' is meant in a way - we deploy roles on nodes randomly,
because we assume similar HW - as a *first* step. Right after that, we
add functionality for user to define flavors.

 > So the solution for similar hardware is already there.
 >
 > I don't see this as an incremental step, but as ugly hack that is not
 > placed anywhere on the roadmap.
 >
 > Regards,
 > Ladislav

-- Jarda