[openstack-dev] [Neutron][IPv6] Private or Public network?

Shixiong Shang sparkofwisdom.cloud at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 02:56:23 UTC 2014

Hi, Anthony:

Thanks a lot for the quick response! I didn't think about the provider network scenarios. I feel grateful you brought it up. I will add provider network to the chart.

Here is my understanding:

Private network: VM is attached to a subnet with NO default gateway at all, i.e. completely isolated
Provider network:  VM is attached to a physical network with a physical router acting as gateway, which is outside of OpenStack’s control

From implementation perspective, both cases are identical since Openstack won’t see the gateway port on neutron router. Hence, Openstack should not be responsible to send IPv6 RA. Being said, the code I am developing will perform a check:

1) If an IPv6 subnet does NOT have gateway port on neutron router (i.e. either private or provider network), then only the first two highlighted combinations are considered as valid. Because the rest five options requires RA announcement.
2) If an IPv6 subnet does have gateway port on neutron router (i.e public network), then only the last five highlighted combinations are considered as valid. Because the first two options turn off RA announcement, which makes existing gateway port on neutron router useless.

Please keep me honest here…….

Thanks again!

Shixiong