[openstack-dev] [oslo] log message translations

Łukasz Jernaś deejay1 at srem.org
Sat Feb 1 18:54:27 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 7:44 PM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> +1 I've never understood this either personally.
>
> From what I know most all (correct me if I am wrong) open source projects
> don't translate log messages; so it seems odd to be the special snowflake
> project/s.
>
> Do people find this type of translation useful?

Argh, that dreaded topic again, so let me drop my 2 euro cents here.

As for the open source/free software projects you're right -
personally, I've never seen any such project translating log messages.
But it seems in the commercial world it's more common, as I've seen
some user applications break on translated error messages in a certain
database system, but in such cases those systems usually had
additional codes (eg, ERR1234) with these messages so support didn't
have to really care about what language they were in.
The problem from my point of view is that OpenStack doesn't provide
these codes (it would be a nightmare to require each developer to
register their log message first), so it seems that certain (whose
names I don't really know) support staff rely on the translated
strings and even worse some of these strings are presented to the user
in the form of exceptions (as seen in this thread). Not to mention the
ability to break log watching tools with updated translations, making
people's monitoring break if they didn't launch the daemons with
LC_ALL=C set...

Best regards,
--
Łukasz [DeeJay1] Jernaś