[openstack-dev] [savanna] Alembic migrations and absence of DROP column in sqlite

Roman Podoliaka rpodolyaka at mirantis.com
Sat Feb 1 16:17:42 UTC 2014

Hi all,

My two cents.

> 2) Extend alembic so that op.drop_column() does the right thing
We could, but should we?

The only reason alembic doesn't support these operations for SQLite
yet is that SQLite lacks proper support of ALTER statement. For
sqlalchemy-migrate we've been providing a work-around in the form of
recreating of a table and copying of all existing rows (which is a
hack, really).

But to be able to recreate a table, we first must have its definition.
And we've been relying on SQLAlchemy schema reflection facilities for
that. Unfortunately, this approach has a few drawbacks:

1) SQLAlchemy versions prior to 0.8.4 don't support reflection of
unique constraints, which means the recreated table won't have them;

2) special care must be taken in 'edge' cases (e.g. when you want to
drop a BOOLEAN column, you must also drop the corresponding CHECK (col
in (0, 1)) constraint manually, or SQLite will raise an error when the
table is recreated without the column being dropped)

3) special care must be taken for 'custom' type columns (it's got
better with SQLAlchemy 0.8.x, but e.g. in 0.7.x we had to override
definitions of reflected BIGINT columns manually for each
column.drop() call)

4) schema reflection can't be performed when alembic migrations are
run in 'offline' mode (without connecting to a DB)
(probably something else I've forgotten)

So it's totally doable, but, IMO, there is no real benefit in
supporting running of schema migrations for SQLite.

> ...attempts to drop schema generation based on models in favor of migrations

As long as we have a test that checks that the DB schema obtained by
running of migration scripts is equal to the one obtained by calling
metadata.create_all(), it's perfectly OK to use model definitions to
generate the initial DB schema for running of unit-tests as well as
for new installations of OpenStack (and this is actually faster than
running of migration scripts). ... and if we have strong objections
against doing metadata.create_all(), we can always use migration
scripts for both new installations and upgrades for all DB backends,
except SQLite.

Thanks,
Roman