[openstack-dev] [Nova] should 'ip address' be retrived when decribe host?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 13:26:22 UTC 2014

On 12/29/2014 06:51 AM, Lingxian Kong wrote:
> Hi Stackers:
>
> As for now, we can get the 'host name', 'service' and 'availability
> zone' of a host through the CLI command 'nova host-list'. But as a
> programmer who communicates with OpenStack using its API, I want to
> get the host ip address, in order to perform some other actions in my
> program.
>
> And what I know is, the ip address of a host is populated in the
> 'compute_nodes' table of the database, during the 'update available
> resource' periodic task.
>
> So, is it possible of the community to support it in the future?
>
> I apologize if the topic was once covered and I missed it.

Hi!

I see no real technical reason this could not be done. It would require
waiting until all of the API microversioning bits are done, and a
micro-increment of the API, along with minimal changes of code in the
hosts extension to return the host_ip field from the
nova.objects.ComputeNode objects returned to the HostController object.

Are you interested in working on such a feature? I would be happy to
guide you through the process of making a blueprint and submitting code
if you'd like. Just find me on IRC #openstack-nova. My IRC nick is jaypipes.

Best,
-jay