[openstack-dev] [Mistral] Converging discussions on WF context and WF/task/action inputs

Renat Akhmerov rakhmerov at mirantis.com
Wed Dec 24 11:19:12 UTC 2014

> On 24 Dec 2014, at 14:06, Anastasia Kuznetsova <akuznetsova at mirantis.com> wrote:
>
> 1) How does the end user will pass env variables to workflow?Will you add one more optional parameter to execution-create command?
> mistral execution-create wf wf_input wf_params wf_env
> If yes than what is wf_env will be, json file?

Yes. IMO it should be possible to specify either a string (name of a previously stored environment) or a json file (so called ad-hoc environment).

> 2) Retuning to first example:
>  action: std.sql conn_str={$.env.conn_str} query={$.query}
> $.env - is it a name of environment or it will be a registered syntax to getting access to values from env ?

So far we agreed that ‘key' should not be a registered key. Environment (optionally specified) is just another storage of variables going after workflow context in a lookup chain. So that if somewhere in a wf we have an expression $.something then this “something” will be first looked in workflow context and if it doesn’t exist there then looked in the specified environment.
But if we want to explicitly group a set of variables we can use any (except for reserved as "__actions" ) key, for example, “env”.

> 3) Can user has a few environments?

Yes. That’s one of the goals of introducing a concept of environment. So that same workflows could be running in different environments (e.g with different email settings, any kinds of passports etc.).

Renat Akhmerov
@ Mirantis Inc.