[openstack-dev] [nova] Evacuate instance which in server group with affinity policy

Alex Xu soulxu at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 15:26:18 UTC 2014

>> > If operator decide to evacuate the instance from the failed host, we
>> should
>> > fence the failed host first.
>>
>> Yes, actually. I mean the recommandation or prerequisite should be
>> emphasized somewhere, e.g. the Operation Guide, otherwise it'll make
>> things more confused. But the issue you are working around is indeed a
>> problem we should solve.
>>

>  Yea, you are right, we should doc it if we think this make sense. Thanks!
>

> As I said, I'm not in favor of adding more complexity in the instance
> group setup that is done in the conductor for basic race condition reasons.

Emm...anyway we can resolve it for now?

> If I understand correctly, the problem is when there is only one host for
> all the instances belonging to a group with affinity filter and this host
> is down, then the filter will deny any other host and consequently the
> request will fail while it should succeed.

Yes, you understand correctly. Thanks for explain that, that's good for
other people to understand what we talking about.

> Is this really a problem ? I mean, it appears to me that's a normal
> behaviour because a filter is by definition an *hard* policy.

Yea, it isn't problem for normal case. But it's problem for VM HA. So I
want to ask whether we should tell user if you use *hard* policy, that
means you lose the VM HA. If we choice that, maybe we should doc at
somewhere to notice user. But if user can have *hard* policy and VM HA at
sametime and we aren't break anything(except a little complex code), that's
sounds good for user.

> So, provided you would like to implement *soft* policies, that sounds more
> likely a *weigher* that you would like to have : ie. make sure that hosts
> running existing instances in the group are weighted more than other ones
> so they'll be chosen every time, but in case they're down, allow the
> scheduler to pick other hosts.

yes, soft policy didn't have this problem.