[openstack-dev] [nova][libvirt]How to customize cpu features in nova

CloudBeyond cloudbeyond at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 09:27:20 UTC 2014

Dear Developers,

Sorry for interrupting if i sent to wrong email group, but i got a problem on
running Solaris 10 on icehouse openstack.
 I found it is need to disable CPU feature x2apic so that solaris 10 NIC
could work in KVM as following code in libvirt.xml

  <cpu mode="custom" match="exact">
    <model>SandyBridge</model>
    <vendor>Intel</vendor>
    <feature policy='disable' name='x2apic'/>
  </cpu>

if without line
  <feature policy='disable' name='x2apic'/>
the NIC in Solaris could not work well.

And I try to migrate the KVM libvirt xml to Nova. I found only two options
to control the result.

First I used default setting cpu_mdoe = None in nova.conf , the Solaris 10
would keep rebooting before enter desktop env.

And then I set cpu_mode = custom, cpu_model = SandyBridge. Solaris 10 could
start up but NIC not work.

I also set cpu_mode = host-model, cpu_model = None. Solaris 10 could work
but NIC not.

I read the code located
in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/nova/virt/libvirt/driver.py. Is that
possible to do some hacking to customize the cpu feature?

Thank you and I am really looking forward your reply.
Have a nice day and Merry Christmas!

Best Regard.
Elbert Wang