[openstack-dev] [api] Analysis of current API design

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 19:01:48 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 10:17 AM, Amit Gandhi <amit.gandhi at rackspace.com>
wrote:

> How do the allocation of the service types in the service catalog get
> created.

Officially these are deployer-defined.  And is why some clients allow you
to configure the service name used.  The service types are supposed to be
consistent, but are also not in practice.

> How do new openstack related projects (that are not incubated/graduated)
> appear in the service catalog with a consistent service type name that can
> be used across providers with the confidence it refers to the same set of
> api's?  Is it just an assumption, or do we need a catalogue somewhere
> listing what each service type is associated with?  Does adding it to
> Devstack pretty much stake claim to the service type?

DevStack has become a de facto source for defaults for a lot of things, and
this is not a good thing.  The DevStack defaults are chosen for developer
and CI testing use and do not necessarily take in to consideration any
actual deployment considerations.

dt

--

Dean Troyer