[openstack-dev] [api] Analysis of current API design

Amit Gandhi amit.gandhi at RACKSPACE.COM
Fri Dec 19 16:17:27 UTC 2014

How do the allocation of the service types in the service catalog get created.

For example, looking at the link provided below for service catalogs [1], you have with Rackspace a service type of rax:queues (which is running zaqar).  However in devstack, zaqar is listed as “messaging”.  FWIW i think the rackspace entry came before the devstack entry, but there is now an inconsistency.

How do new openstack related projects (that are not incubated/graduated) appear in the service catalog with a consistent service type name that can be used across providers with the confidence it refers to the same set of api's?  Is it just an assumption, or do we need a catalogue somewhere listing what each service type is associated with?  Does adding it to Devstack pretty much stake claim to the service type?

Thanks
Amit.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/API_Working_Group/Current_Design/Service_Catalog