[openstack-dev] [Fuel] [Plugins] Further development of plugin metadata format

Vitaly Kramskikh vkramskikh at mirantis.com
Wed Dec 17 15:29:58 UTC 2014

As I said, it is not flexible and restrictive. What if there are some other
"backends" for anything appear? What to do if I want to write a plugin that
just adds some extra styles to the UI? Invent a new structures/flags on
demand? That's not viable.

I still think "enableness" of plugin is the root of all issues with your
approach. With your approach we lose single source of truth (cluster
attributes/settings tab) we'll need to search for strange solutions like
these groups/flags.

> Vitaly, what do you think about that?
>
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 5:58 PM, Evgeniy L <eli at mirantis.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't agree with many of your statements but, I would like to
>> continue discussion about really important topic i.e. UI flow, my
>> suggestion was to add groups, for plugin in metadata.yaml plugin
>> developer can have description of the groups which it belongs to:
>>
>> groups:
>>   - id: storage
>>     subgroup:
>>       - id: cinder
>>
>> With this information we can show a new option on UI (wizard),
>> if option is selected, it means that plugin is enabled, if plugin belongs
>> to several groups, we can use OR statement.
>>
>> The main point is, for environment creation we must specify
>> ids of plugins. Yet another reason for that is plugins multiversioning,
>> we must know exactly which plugin with which version
>> is used for environment, and I don't see how "conditions" can help
>> us with it.
>>
>> Thanks,

>>> which are run only if some checkboxes are set, so stuff like Ceph and
>>> vCenter will need conditions to describe tasks.

>>> Why is it bad? It plugin writer doesn't provide plugin name or version,
>>> then metadata is invalid also. It is plugin writer's fault that he didn't
>>> write metadata properly.

>>> Oh, I missed it. So there are 2 checkboxes, how would you determine
>>> "enableness"?

>>> I don't know much about the status of granular deployment blueprint, but
>>> AFAIK that's what we are going to get rid of.

>>> Yes, I skipped it. You said "research is required", so please do it,
>>> write a proposal and then we will compare it with condition approach. You
>>> still don't have your proposal, so there is nothing to compare and discuss.
>>> From the first perspective it seems complex and restrictive.

>>> So there is nothing else you need "enableness", right? If you "described
>>> why we need it many times", I think you need to do it one more time (in
>>> form of a list). If we need "enableness" just to determine whether the
>>> plugin is removable, then it is not the reason to ruin our UX.

>>> I like how it is done in modern browsers - after upgrade of master node
>>> there is notification about incompatible plugins, and in list of plugins
>>> there is a message that plugin is incompatible. We need to design how we
>>> will handle it. Currently it is definitely a bad UX because nothing is done
>>> for this.

>>> It is just a proposal in which I try to solve problems which you see in
>>> my approach. If you want a "complex" interface with arbitrary python code,
>>> that's how I see it. All fields are the same here, the approach is the
>>> same, just conditions are in python. And YAML config can be converted to
>>> this class, and all other code won't need to handle 2 different interfaces
>>> for plugins.

>>> --
> [...]

Vitaly Kramskikh,
Software Engineer,