[openstack-dev] [nova] nova-manage db archive_deleted_rows broken

Andrew Laski andrew.laski at rackspace.com
Tue Dec 16 20:43:07 UTC 2014

On 12/12/2014 08:54 PM, melanie witt wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> At some point, our db archiving functionality got broken because there was a change to stop ever deleting instance system metadata [1]. For those unfamiliar, the 'nova-manage db archive_deleted_rows' is the thing that moves all soft-deleted (deleted=nonzero) rows to the shadow tables. This is a periodic cleaning that operators can do to maintain performance (as things can get sluggish when deleted=nonzero rows accumulate).
>
> The change was made because instance_type data still needed to be read even after instances had been deleted, because we allow admin to view deleted instances. I saw a bug [2] and two patches [3][4] which aimed to fix this by changing back to soft-deleting instance sysmeta when instances are deleted, and instead allow read_deleted="yes" for the things that need to read instance_type for deleted instances present in the db.
>
> My question is, is this approach okay? If so, I'd like to see these patches revive so we can have our db archiving working again. :) I think there's likely something I'm missing about the approach, so I'm hoping people who know more about instance sysmeta than I do, can chime in on how/if we can fix this for db archiving. Thanks.

I looked briefly into tackling this as well a while back.  The tricky
piece that I hit is what system_metadata should be available when
read_deleted='yes'.  Is it okay for it to be all deleted system_metadata
or should it only be the system_metadata that was deleted at the same
time as the instance?  I didn't get to dig in enough to answer that.

Also there are periodic tasks that query for deleted instances so those
might need to pull system_metadata in addition to the API.