[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Unrecognized Services and Install Guide

André Aranha andre.f.aranha at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 17:02:17 UTC 2014

When I try to follow the instalation guide I'm having some issues (
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ironic/deploy/install-guide.html )
I installed the devstack with ironic and did worked. Now, having a single
machine running devstack, I want to deploy the Ironic on it. So, I'll have
a machine as the controller node and another machine as the one ironic will
use as a VM.
I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 and when I download the irnoic services

    # Available in Ubuntu 14.04 (trusty)
>     apt-get install ironic-api ironic-conductor python-ironicclient

I get the ironic-api version and the version downloaded was the 2014.1.rc1

    ironic-api --version
>     2014.1.rc1

This version don't have the capability 'create_schema', as it's required in
the guide

    ironic-dbsync --config-file /etc/ironic/ironic.conf create_schema

So, following some tips in the #openstack-ironic, I downloaded the code
from the repository, and installed it after removing the downloaded
ironic-api:

    git clone https://github.com/openstack/ironic.git
>     python setup.py install

Now the ironic-dbsync is working with the create_schema, and I have the
following ironic-api version:

    ironic-api --version
>     2015.1.dev206.g2db2659

But when I continue the guide
1) I get an error on the ironic-api service

    sudo service ironic-api restart
>     ironic-api: unrecognized service

2) nova-scheduler service don't exist

    sudo service nova-scheduler restart
>     nova-scheduler: unrecognized service

3) Neither nova-compute

    sudo service nova-compute restart
>     nova-compute: unrecognized service

Did someone have this problem, and how can it be solved?

I don't know if this issue should be addressed to Openstack-dev so I'm also
addressing to Openstack.

Thank you,
Andre Aranha