[openstack-dev] [all] [tc] [PTL] Cascading vs. Cells – summit recap and move forward

joehuang joehuang at huawei.com
Sat Dec 13 03:23:46 UTC 2014

Hello,  Andrew,

> I do consider this to be out of scope for cells, for at least the medium
> term as you've said.  There is additional complexity in making that a
> supported configuration that is not being addressed in the cells
> effort.  I am just making the statement that this is something cells
> could address if desired, and therefore doesn't need an additional solution

1. Does your solution include Cinder,Neutron, Glance, Ceilometer, or only Nova involved? Could you describe it more clear how your solution works.
2. The tenant's resources need to be distributed in different data centers, how these resources are connected through L2/L3 networing, and isolated from other tenants, including provide advanced service like LB/FW/VPN, and service chainning?
3. How to distribute the image to geo-distributed data-centers when the user upload image, or you mean all VM will boot from the remote image data?
4. How would the metering and monitoring function will work in geo-distributed data-centers? Or say, if we use Ceilometer, how to hadnle the sampling data/alarm?
5. How to support multi-vendor's OpenStack distribution in one multi-site cloud? If only support one vendor's OpenStack distribution, and use RPC for inter-dc communication, how to do the cross data center integration and troubleshooting, upgrade with RPC if the driver/agent/backend(storage/network/sever) from different vendor

I have lots of doubts how the cells would address these challenges,  these questions are only part of them. It would be the best if cells can address all challenges, then of course no need an adtional solution.

Best regards

Chaoyi Huang ( joehuang )