[openstack-dev] [nova] nova-manage db archive_deleted_rows broken

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 01:54:37 UTC 2014

Hi everybody,

At some point, our db archiving functionality got broken because there was a change to stop ever deleting instance system metadata [1]. For those unfamiliar, the 'nova-manage db archive_deleted_rows' is the thing that moves all soft-deleted (deleted=nonzero) rows to the shadow tables. This is a periodic cleaning that operators can do to maintain performance (as things can get sluggish when deleted=nonzero rows accumulate).

The change was made because instance_type data still needed to be read even after instances had been deleted, because we allow admin to view deleted instances. I saw a bug [2] and two patches [3][4] which aimed to fix this by changing back to soft-deleting instance sysmeta when instances are deleted, and instead allow read_deleted="yes" for the things that need to read instance_type for deleted instances present in the db.

My question is, is this approach okay? If so, I'd like to see these patches revive so we can have our db archiving working again. :) I think there's likely something I'm missing about the approach, so I'm hoping people who know more about instance sysmeta than I do, can chime in on how/if we can fix this for db archiving. Thanks.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1185190
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1226049
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/110875/
[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/109201/