[openstack-dev] Lack of quota - security bug or not?

George Shuklin george.shuklin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 14:48:26 UTC 2014

On 12/11/2014 03:16 PM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> George Shuklin wrote:

>>> That would be a major security bug. Please do file one and we'll get
>>> on it immediately.
>> (private bug at that moment) https://bugs.launchpad.net/ossa/+bug/1401170
>>
>> There is discussion about this. Quote:
>>
>> Jeremy Stanley (fungi):
>> Traditionally we've not considered this sort of exploit a security
>> vulnerability. The lack of built-in quota for particular kinds of
>> database entries isn't necessarily a design flaw, but even if it
>> can/should be fixed it's likely not going to get addressed in stable
>> backports, is not something for which we would issue a security
>> advisory, and so doesn't need to be kept under secret embargo. Does
>> anyone else disagree?
>>
>> If anyone have access to OSSA tracker, please say your opinion in that bug.
> It also depends a lot on the details. Is there amplification ? Is there
> a cost associated ? I bet most public cloud providers would be fine with
> a user creating and paying for running 100500 instances, and that user
> would certainly end up creating at least 100500 objects in database via
> normal API.
>
> So this is really a per-report call, which is why we usually discuss
> them all separately.

No one gonna be happy if the single user can grab unlimited resources
(like ten /16 nets of white IP's). Whole idea of quotas is to give ops
freedom and power to restrict user to comfortable for infrastructure
levels of consuming. And every op for every infrastructure decide where
is that level.

For busy cloud is really hard to detect malicious user before problem
happens, and it's really hard to clean up after (10 minutes for each
data query after 15 minutes of lazy attack - is serious, I think).