[openstack-dev] Lack of quota - security bug or not?

George Shuklin george.shuklin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 11:51:25 UTC 2014

On 12/10/2014 10:34 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On 12/10/2014 02:43 PM, George Shuklin wrote:
>> I have some small discussion in launchpad: is lack of a quota for
>> unprivileged user counted as security bug (or at least as a bug)?
>>
>> If user can create 100500 objects in database via normal API and ops
>> have no way to restrict this, is it OK for Openstack or not?
>
> That would be a major security bug. Please do file one and we'll get
> on it immediately.

(private bug at that moment) https://bugs.launchpad.net/ossa/+bug/1401170

There is discussion about this. Quote:

Jeremy Stanley (fungi):
Traditionally we've not considered this sort of exploit a security
vulnerability. The lack of built-in quota for particular kinds of
database entries isn't necessarily a design flaw, but even if it
can/should be fixed it's likely not going to get addressed in stable
backports, is not something for which we would issue a security
advisory, and so doesn't need to be kept under secret embargo. Does
anyone else disagree?

If anyone have access to OSSA tracker, please say your opinion in that bug.