[openstack-dev] [horizon] REST and Django

Tihomir Trifonov t.trifonov at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 11:02:27 UTC 2014

Richard, thanks for the reply,

I agree that the given example is not a real REST. But we already have the
REST API - that's Keystone, Nova, Cinder, Glance, Neutron etc, APIs. So
what we plan to do here? To add a new REST layer to communicate with other
REST API? Do we really need Frontend-REST-REST architecture ? My opinion is
that we don't need another REST layer as we currently are trying to go away
from the Django layer, which is the same - another processing layer.
Although we call it REST proxy or whatever - it doesn't need to be a real
REST, but just an aggregation proxy that combines and forwards some
requests with adding minimal processing overhead. What makes sense for me
is to keep the authentication in this layer as it is now - push a cookie to
the frontend, but the REST layer will extract the auth tokens from the
session storage and prepare the auth context for the REST API request to OS
services. This way we will not expose the tokens to the JS frontend, and
will have strict control over the authentication. The frontend will just
send data requests, they will be wrapped with auth context and forwarded.

Regarding the existing issues with versions in the API - for me the
existing approach is wrong. All these fixes were made as workarounds. What
should have been done is to create abstractions for each version and to use
a separate class for each version. This was partially done for the
keystoneclient in api/keystone.py, but not for the forms/views, where we
still have if-else for versions. What I suggest here is to have
different(concrete) views/forms for each version, and to use them according
the context. If the Keystone backend is v2.0 - then in the Frontend use
keystone2() object, otherwise use keystone3() object. This of course needs
some more coding, but is much cleaner in terms of customization and
testing. For me the current hacks with 'if keystone.version == 3.0' are
wrong at many levels. And this can be solved now. *The problem till now was
that we had one frontend that had to be backed by different versions of
backend components*. *Now we can have different frontends that map to
specific backend*. That's how I understand the power of Angular with it's
views and directives. That's where I see the real benefit of using
full-featured frontend. Also imagine how easy will be then to deprecate a
component version, compared to what we need to do now for the same.

Otherwise we just rewrite the current Django middleware with another
DjangoRest middleware and don't change anything, we don't fix the problems.
We just move them to another place.

I still think that in Paris we talked about a new generation of the
Dashboard, a different approach on building the frontend for OpenStack.
What I've heard there from users/operators of Horizon was that it was
extremely hard to add customizations and new features to the Dashboard, as
all these needed to go through upstream changes and to wait until next
release cycle to get them. Do we still want to address these concerns and
how? Please, correct me if I got things wrong.