[openstack-dev] [NFV][Telco] Service VM v/s its basic framework

A, Keshava keshava.a at hp.com
Wed Dec 10 04:18:34 UTC 2014

[cid:image003.png at 01D0145E.75813DF0]

I have some of the basic question w.r.t Service-VM running  the NFV. (These Service-VMs can be vNAT, vFW, vDPI, vRouting , vCPE etc ),

1.       When these service-VM runs over  the cloud (over OpenStack CN) each will be treated as Routable entity in the network ?

i.e, Each Service-VM will run its own routing protocol so that it is a reachable entity in the network ?

2.       Will there be any basic framework / basic elements that needs to run in these VM ?

a.       Each Service-VM should also its routing instance + L3 Forwarding ..

If so are they optional or mandatory

3.       When these Service-VM runs (which may be part vCPE) then each service packet will be carried till Service-VM or it will be handled in the OVS of the compute node it self ?

Then how this will be handled for routing packet ?

4.       If there are multiple 'features running with in a Service-VM' (example NAT,FW,IPSEC),

a.       Then depending on the prefix(tenant/user traffic) may need to chain them differently .

                                                               i.      Example for tenant-1 packet prefix P1: Service execution may be NAT --> FW --> IPSEC

                                                             ii.      Tennant-2 p2 : it may NAT->IPSEC->AAA

5.       How the Service chain Execution, which may be running across multiple Service-VM  is controlled.

a.       Is it controlled by configuring the OVS (Open V Switch ) running in the compute node ?

b.      When the Service-VMs are running across different Compute nodes  they need to be chained across OVS .

This needs to controlled by NFV Service Layer + OpenStack Controller ?

In my opinion there should be a some basic discussion on how these Service-VM's framework and how they needs to be chained ,which entity are mandatory in such service to run over the cloud.

Please let me know if such discussion already happened ? Let me know others opinion for the same.

Thanks & regards,
keshava