[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Fuel agent proposal

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 21:03:29 UTC 2014

On Tue Dec 09 2014 at 10:13:52 AM Vladimir Kozhukalov <
vkozhukalov at mirantis.com> wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> Just to make sure everyone understands what Fuel Agent is about. Fuel
> Agent is agnostic to image format. There are 3 possibilities for image
> format
> 1) DISK IMAGE contains GPT/MBR table and all partitions and metadata in
> case of md or lvm. That is just something like what you get when run 'dd
> if=/dev/sda of=disk_image.raw'

This is what IPA driver does today.

> 2) FS IMAGE contains fs. Disk contains some partitions which then could be
> used to create md device or volume group contains logical volumes. We then
> can put a file system over plain partition or md device or logical volume.
> This type of image is what you get when run 'dd if=/dev/sdaN
> of=fs_image.raw'

This is what PXE driver does today, but it does so over a remote iSCSI
connection.

Work is being done to add support for this to IPA [0]

> 3) TAR IMAGE contains files. It is when you run 'tar cf tar_image.tar /'
>
> Currently in Fuel we use FS images. Fuel Agent creates partitions, md and
> lvm devices and then downloads FS images and put them on partition devices
> (/dev/sdaN) or on lvm device (/dev/mapper/vgname/lvname) or md device
> (/dev/md0)

I believe the IPA team would welcome contributions that add support for
software RAID for the root partition.

> Fuel Agent is also able to install and configure grub.

Again, I think this would be welcomed by the IPA team...

If this is what FuelAgent is about, why is there so much resistance to
contributing that functionality to the component which is already
integrated with Ironic? Why complicate matters for both users and
developers by adding *another* deploy agent that does (or will soon do) the
same things?

-Deva

[0]
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ironic/+spec/partition-image-support-for-agent-driver