[openstack-dev] [hacking] proposed rules drop for 1.0

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Dec 9 18:49:00 UTC 2014

On 12/09/2014 12:07 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2014-12-09 11:56:54 -0500 (-0500), Sean Dague wrote:
>> Honestly, any hard rejection ends up problematic. For instance, it
>> means it's impossible to include actual urls in commit messages to
>> reference things without a url shortener much of the time.
>
> Fair enough. I think this makes it a human problem which we're not
> going to solve by applying more technology. Drop all of H8XX, make
> Gerrit preserve votes on commit-message-only patchset updates,
> decree no more commit message -1s from reviewers, and make it
> socially acceptable to just edit commit messages of changes you
> review to bring them up to acceptable standards.

I still think -1 for commit message is fine, but it's a human thing, not
a computer thing. Because the consumers of the commit messages are humans.

And I also think that if a commit message change doesn't retrigger all
the tests, people will be a lot happier updating them.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net