[openstack-dev] [nova] bug 1334398 and libvirt live snapshot support

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Dec 5 19:32:17 UTC 2014

On 12/05/2014 01:50 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> In Juno we effectively disabled live snapshots with libvirt due to bug
> 1334398 [1] failing the gate about 25% of the time.
>
> I was going through the Juno release notes today and saw this as a known
> issue, which reminded me of it and was wondering if there is anything
> being done about it?
>
> As I recall, it *works* but it wasn't working under the stress our
> check/gate system puts on that code path.
>
> One thing I'm thinking is, couldn't we make this an experimental config
> option and by default it's disabled but we could run it in the
> experimental queue, or people could use it without having to patch the
> code to remove the artificial minimum version constraint put in the code.
>
> Something like:
>
> if CONF.libvirt.live_snapshot_supported:
>    # do your thing
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1334398

So, it works. If you aren't booting / shutting down guests at exactly
the same time as snapshotting. I believe cburgess said in IRC yesterday
he was going to take another look at it next week.

I'm happy to put this into dansmith's pattented [workarounds] config
group (coming soon to fix the qemu-convert bug). But I don't think this
should be a normal libvirt option.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague