[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Managing no-mergepy template duplication

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Fri Dec 5 16:19:38 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-12-03 at 14:42 +0100, Tomas Sedovic wrote:
> On 12/03/2014 11:11 AM, Steven Hardy wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Lately I've been spending more time looking at tripleo and doing some
> > reviews. I'm particularly interested in helping the no-mergepy and
> > subsequent puppet-software-config implementations mature (as well as
> > improving overcloud updates via heat).
> >
> > Since Tomas's patch landed[1] to enable --no-mergepy in
> > tripleo-heat-templates, it's become apparent that frequently patches are
> > submitted which only update overcloud-source.yaml, so I've been trying to
> > catch these and ask for a corresponding change to e.g controller.yaml.
> >

> You beat me to this. Thanks for writing it up!
>
> > This raises the following questions:
> >
> > 1. Is it reasonable to -1 a patch and ask folks to update in both places?
>
> I'm in favour.
>
> > 2. How are we going to handle this duplication and divergence?

To follow this up we are getting in really bad shape with divergence
already. I found 3 missing sets of Rabbit, Keystone, and Neutron DVR
parameters which due to the merge window were properly ported into
overcloud-without-mergepy.yaml yet.

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/139649/ (missing Rabbit parameters)

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/139656/ (missing Keystone parameters)

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/139671/ (missing Neutron DVR
parameters)

We need to be very careful at this point not to continue merging things
into overcloud-source.yaml which don't have the equivalent bits for
overcloud-without-mergepy.yaml.

Dan