[openstack-dev] [neutron] Changes to the core team

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Dec 4 19:38:31 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-03 23:24:41 +0000 (+0000), Sukhdev Kapur wrote:
[...]
> If I may express my opinion, Bob's contribution to ML2 has been
> quite substantial. The kind of stability ML2 has achieved makes a
> statement of his dedication to this work. I have worked very
> closely with Bob on several issues and co-chaired ML2-Subteam with
> him and have developed tremendous respect for his dedication.

He is a remarkable contributor to the project--of that I have no
doubt.

> Reading his email reply makes me believe he wants to continue to
> contribute as core developer.

And here, I believe, is the source of the confusion: "core
developer" isn't a specific role in OpenStack projects. We have all
sorts of contributions including not only software development but
also documentation, translation, infrastructure management, quality
assurance, et cetera, et cetera... _and_ code review.

> Therefore, I would like to take an opportunity to appeal to the
> core team to consider granting him his wish - i.e. vote -1 on his
> removal.

The proposal was to remove him from the list of Neutron core
*reviewers* (the people tasked with wading through the endless
volumes of code contributed by developers day after day). This says
nothing of his remarkable ongoing contributions to the project,
except merely that he hasn't had a lot of time to review other
people's code contributions for a while now. It's not a stigma, it's
simply a reflection of which kinds of contributions he focuses on
making.
--
Jeremy Stanley