[openstack-dev] [neutron] Changes to the core team

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Thu Dec 4 17:24:39 UTC 2014

On 12/04/2014 05:21 AM, Mathieu Rohon wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 8:38 AM, Sumit Naiksatam
> <sumitnaiksatam at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 9:07 PM, Adam Young <ayoung at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> On 12/03/2014 06:24 PM, Sukhdev Kapur wrote:
>>>
>>> Congratulations Henry and Kevin. It has always been pleasure working with
>>> you guys.....
>>>

>>> If I may express my opinion, Bob's contribution to ML2 has been quite
>>> substantial. The kind of stability ML2 has achieved makes a statement of his
>>> dedication to this work. I have worked very closely with Bob on several
>>> issues and co-chaired ML2-Subteam with him and have developed tremendous
>>> respect for his dedication.
>>> Reading his email reply makes me believe he wants to continue to contribute
>>> as core developer. Therefore, I would like to take an opportunity to appeal
>>> to the core team to consider granting him his wish - i.e. vote -1 on his
>>> removal.
>>>
>>> If I might venture an outside voice in support of Bob:  you don't want to
>>> chase away the continuity.  Yes, sometimes the day job makes us focus on
>>> things other than upstream work for a while, but I would say that you should
>>> err on the side of keeping someone that is otherwise still engaged.
>>> Especially when that core has been as fundamental on a project as I know Bob
>>> to have been on Quantum....er Neutron.
>>
>> I would definitely echo the above sentiments; Bob has continually made
>> valuable design contributions to ML2 and Neutron that go beyond the
>> review count metric. Kindly consider keeping him as a part of the core
>> team.
>
> Working with bob in the ML2 sub team was a real pleasure. He is
> providing a good technical and community leadership.
> Its reviews are really valuable, since he always reviews a patch in
> the context of the overall project and other work in progress.
> This takes more time.
>
>> That said, a big +1 to both, Henry and Kevin, as additions to the core
>> team! Welcome!!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> ~Sumit.
>>

>>> regards..
>>> -Sukhdev

I think we move into very dangerous territory if we are equating a core
review Gerrit permission (it is just a Gerrit permission, if it is
perceived as anything other than that that is a perception we have
created ourselves) with value as an OpenStack contributor.

I work with and value many OpenStack contributors daily who do not have
a core review Gerrit permission. I do not advocate for any decision that
even indirectly conveys the message that I value their contribution any
differently then any other contributor simply based on Gerrit permissions.

As to who in Neutron should or should not have certain Gerrit
permissions is not for me to say, as I do not have the perspective
(other than third party things) to have an opinion.

Thank you,
Anita.