[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] Config Options and OSLO libs

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Dec 4 12:09:07 UTC 2014

On Dec 3, 2014, at 3:44 PM, John Griffith <john.griffith8 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> So this is a long running topic, but I want to bring it up again.
> First, YES Cinder is still running a sample.conf.  A lot of Operators
> spoke up and provided feedback that this was valuable and they
> objected strongly to taking it away.  That being said we're going to
> go the route of removing it from our unit tests and
> generating/publishing periodically outside of tests.
>
> That being said, one of the things that's driving me crazy and
> breaking things on a regular basis is other OpenStack libs having a
> high rate of change of config options.  This revolves around things
> like fixing typos in the comments, reformatting of text etc.  All of
> these things are good in the long run, but I wonder if we could
> consider batching these sorts of efforts and communicating them?
>
> The other issue that we hit today was a flat out removal of an option
> in the oslo.messaging lib with no deprecation.  This patch here [1]
> does a number of things that are probably great in terms of clean up
> and housekeeping, but now that we're all in on shared/common libs I
> think we should be a bit more careful about the changes we make.  Also
> to me the commit message doesn't really make it easy for me to search
> git logs to try and figure out what happened when things blew up.

Yes, this was a mistake. We believed that option was only used in the oslo.messaging library tests, and didn’t check widely enough to verify that we were right. There is a patch merging now to restore the option [1], and when that lands we will release a new version today.

As we move ahead with the libraries, I would like for us to stop having apps set configuration options in their unit tests. As you rightly point out, your unit tests shouldn’t break if we change options (tempest and grenade would still use the options). We should provide fixtures and APIs that can be used to configure the libraries in the necessary ways, without relying on the configuration options. This shift is going to take a long time, and we might not start it until next cycle, but we could have the liaisons help us put together the list of ways those options are already being used in unit tests. I’ll be bringing that up in the next Oslo meeting [2]. Please make sure all of your liaisons are present.

Doug

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/138973/
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/Oslo