[openstack-dev] [NFV][Telco] pxe-boot

Pasquale Porreca pasquale.porreca at dektech.com.au
Wed Dec 3 09:16:48 UTC 2014

The use case we were thinking about is a Network Function (e.g. IMS
Nodes) implementation in which the high availability is based on
OpenSAF. In this scenario there is an Active/Standby cluster of 2 System
Controllers (SC) plus several Payloads (PL) that boot from network,
controlled by the SC. The logic of which service to deploy on each
payload is inside the SC.

In OpenStack both SCs and PLs will be instances running in the cloud,
anyway the PLs should still boot from network under the control of the
SC. In fact to use Glance to store the image for the PLs and keep the
control of the PLs in the SC, the SC should trigger the boot of the PLs
with requests to Nova/Glance, but an application running inside an
instance should not directly interact with a cloud infrastructure
service like Glance or Nova.

We know that it is yet possible to achieve network booting in OpenStack
using an image stored in Glance that acts like a pxe client, anyway this
workaround has some drawbacks, mainly due to the fact it won't be
possible to choose the specific virtual NIC on which the network boot
will happen, causing DHCP requests to flow on networks where they don't
belong to and possible delays in the boot of the instances.