[openstack-dev] [Fuel][Nailgun] Web framework

Ryan Brown rybrown at redhat.com
Tue Dec 2 16:13:07 UTC 2014

On 12/02/2014 09:55 AM, Igor Kalnitsky wrote:
> Hi, Sebastian,
>
> Thank you for raising this topic again.
>
> [snip]
>
> Personally, I'd like to use Flask instead of Pecan, because first one
> is more production-ready tool and I like its design. But I believe
> this should be resolved by voting.
>
> Thanks,
> Igor
>
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 4:19 PM, Sebastian Kalinowski
> <skalinowski at mirantis.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> [snip explanation+history]
>>
>> Best,
>> Sebastian

Given that Pecan is used for other OpenStack projects and has plenty of
builtin functionality (REST support, sessions, etc) I'd prefer it for a
number of reasons.

1) Wouldn't have to pull in plugins for standard (in Pecan) things
2) Pecan is built for high traffic, where Flask is aimed at much smaller
projects
3) Already used by other OpenStack projects, so common patterns can be
reused as oslo libs

Of course, the Flask community seems larger (though the average flask
project seems pretty small).

I'm not sure what determines "production readiness", but it seems to me
like Fuel developers fall more in Pecan's target audience than in Flask's.

My $0.02,
Ryan

--
Ryan Brown / Software Engineer, Openstack / Red Hat, Inc.