[openstack-dev] [nova][NFV] VIF_VHOSTUSER

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Sat Aug 30 20:22:34 UTC 2014

The problem here is that you've removed the vif_driver option and now
you're preventing the inclusion of named VIF types into the generic driver,
which means that rather than adding a package to an installation to add
support for a VIF driver it's now necessary to change the Nova code (and
repackage it, or - ew - patch it in place after installation).  I
understand where you're coming from but unfortunately the two changes
together make things very awkward.  Granted that vif_driver needed to go
away - it was the wrong level of code and the actual value was coming from
the wrong place anyway (nova config and not Neutron) - but it's been
removed without a suitable substitute.

It's a little late for a feature for Juno, but I think we need to write
something discovers VIF types installed on the system.  That way you can
add a new VIF type to Nova by deploying a package (and perhaps naming it in
config as an available selection to offer to Neutron) *without* changing
the Nova tree itself.

In the meantime, I recommend you consult with the Neutron cores and see if
you can make an exception for the VHOSTUSER driver for the current
timescale.
--
Ian.