[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Infra] [third-party] [infra] New mailing lists for third party announcements and account requests

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri Aug 29 20:03:57 UTC 2014

On Fri 29 Aug 2014 12:47:00 PM PDT, Elizabeth K. Joseph wrote:
> Third-party-request
>
> This list is the new place to request the creation or modification of
> your third party account. Note that old requests sent to the
> openstack-infra mailing list don't need to be resubmitted, they are
> already in the queue for creation.

I'm not happy about this decision: creating new lists is expensive, it
multiplies entry points for newcomers, which need to be explained *and*
understood. We've multiplying processes, rules, points of contact and
places to monitor, be aware of... I feel overwhelmed. I wonder how much
worse that feeling is for people who are not 150% of their time
following discussions online and offline on all OpenStack channels.

Are you sure that a mailing list is the most appropriate way of handling
requests? Aren't bug trackers more appropriate instead?  And don't we
have a bug tracker already?

> It would also be helpful for third party operators to join this
> mailing list as well as the -announce list in order to reply when they
> can to distribute workload and support new participants to thethird
> party community.

What makes you think they will join a list called 'request'? It's a
request: I file a request, get back what I asked for, I say goodbye.
Doesn't sound like a place for discussions.

Also, if the problem with third-party operators is that they don't stick
around, how did you come to the conclusion that two more mailing lists
would solve (or help solving) the problem?