[openstack-dev] [bashate] .bashateignore

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 12:53:46 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 7:42 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> Integrating bashate into something as complicated as devstack, the file
> ignore problem has come up.
>
> We seem to have 3 approaches out under review right now:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/117425 : --exclude-dirs
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/115794 : --exclude-dirs (different
> implementation)
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/113892 : removing hidden directories
>
> I'm actually kind of convinced now that none of these approaches are
> what we need, and that we should instead have a .bashateignore file in
> the root dir for the project instead, which would be regex that would
> match files or directories to throw out of the walk.
>
> I think that would handle the concerns that everyone is having, and
> hopefully provides a more clear set of semantics in integrating.
>
> Anyone up for taking a stab at this patch?

I started the other night and ran into the usual semantic problems wrt
meaning...rather than re-invent this wheel I found the pathspec module
another new dependency!) that purports to do .gitignore-style handling,
only it doesn't.  It's closer to  rsync include file syntax.  I managed to
get it really close only to fail on handling bare directories properly.
 Example:

Ignoring a doc directory in .gitignore:
doc

Ignoring a doc directory in my trial:
doc/

It occurs to me that fixing this too means maybe I started down the wrong
path.  This matters to be because I want to also leverage the existing
.gitignore files we have.

Just to join the party I pushed up the working state in
https://review.openstack.org/117772.

dt

--

Dean Troyer