[openstack-dev] [Neutron][stable] How to backport database schema fixes

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Fri Aug 29 10:54:51 UTC 2014

If you are running version from a stable branch, changes in DB migrations
should generally be forbidden as the policy states since those migrations
are not likely to be executed again. Downgrading and then upgrading again
is extremely risky and I don't think anybody would ever do that.

However, if one is running stable branch X-2 where X is the current
development branch, back porting migration fixes could make sense for
upgrading to version X-1 if the migration being fixed is in the path
between X-2 and X-1.
Therefore I would forbid every fix to migration earlier than X-2 release
(there should not be any in theory but neutron has migrations back to
folsom). For the path between X-2 and  X-1 fixes might be ok. However,
rather than amending existing migration is always better to add new
migrations - even if it's a matter of enabling a given change for a
particular plugin (*). As nova does, the best place for doing that is
always immediately before release.

With alembic, we do not need to add placeholders, but just adjust pointers
just like you would when inserting an element in a dynamic list.

Salvatore

(*) we are getting rid of this conditional migration logic for juno anyway