[openstack-dev] [nova] nova backup not working in stable/icehouse?

Preston L. Bannister preston at bannister.us
Fri Aug 29 06:48:49 UTC 2014

Looking to put a proper implementation of instance backup into OpenStack.
Started by writing a simple set of baseline tests and running against the
stable/icehouse branch. They failed!

https://github.com/dreadedhill-work/openstack-backup-scripts

Scripts and configuration are in the above. Simple tests.

At first I assumed there was a configuration error in my Devstack ... but
at this point I believe the errors are in fact in OpenStack. (Also I have
rather more colorful things to say about what is and is not logged.)

Try to backup bootable Cinder volumes attached to instances ... and all
fail. Try to backup instances booted from images, and all-but-one fail
(without logged errors, so far as I see).

Was concerned about preserving existing behaviour (as I am currently
hacking the Nova backup API), but ... if the existing is badly broken, this
may not be a concern. (Makes my job a bit simpler.)

If someone is using "nova backup" successfully (more than one backup at a
time), I *would* rather like to know!

Anyone with different experience?