[openstack-dev] [CEILOMETER] Trending Alarm

Nejc Saje nsaje at redhat.com
Fri Aug 29 05:35:04 UTC 2014

On 08/28/2014 08:07 PM, Henrique Truta wrote:

> Hello, everyone!
>
> I want to have an alarm that is triggered by some kind of trend. For
> example, an alarm that is triggeredwhen the CPU utilization is growing
> steadly (for example, has grown approximately 10% per 5 minutes, where
> the percentage and time window would be parameters, but then I would
> evaluate also more complex forms to compute trends).Is there any way to
> do this kind of task?
>
> I took a brief look on the code and saw that new evaluators can be
> created. So, I thought about two possibilities: the former includes
> creating a new Evaluator that considers a given window size and the
> latter considers on adding a "change rate" comparator, which will enable
> to set the growth rate as the threshold.
>
> What do you think about it?

What about adding a new rate_of_change transformer on the cpu_util samples?

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ceilometer/configuration.html#rate-of-change-transformer

That way you would have a new meter that denotes the rate-of-change of
the cpu utilization and could set up alarms on that.

Cheers,
Nejc