[openstack-dev] [oslo.messaging] Request to include AMQP 1.0 support in Juno-3

Ken Giusti kgiusti at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 20:50:28 UTC 2014

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 13:36:46 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-08-28 at 13:24 +0200, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> > On 08/27/2014 03:35 PM, Ken Giusti wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I believe Juno-3 is our last chance to get this feature [1] included
> > > into olso.messaging.

<SNIP!>

> > Hi Ken,
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your hard work here. As I stated in my last comment on
> > the driver's review, I think we should let this driver land and let
> > future patches improve it where/when needed.
> >
> > I agreed on letting the driver land as-is based on the fact that there
> > are patches already submitted ready to enable the gates for this driver.
>
> I feel bad that the driver has been in a pretty complete state for quite
> a while but hasn't received a whole lot of reviews. There's a lot of
> promise to this idea, so it would be ideal if we could unblock it.
>
> One thing I've been meaning to do this cycle is add concrete advice for
> operators on the state of each driver. I think we'd be a lot more
> comfortable merging this in Juno if we could somehow make it clear to
> operators that it's experimental right now. My idea was:
>
>   - Write up some notes which discusses the state of each driver e.g.
>
>       - RabbitMQ - the default, used by the majority of OpenStack
>         deployments, perhaps list some of the known bugs, particularly
>         around HA.
>
>       - Qpid - suitable for production, but used in a limited number of
>         deployments. Again, list known issues. Mention that it will
>         probably be removed with the amqp10 driver matures.
>
>       - Proton/AMQP 1.0 - experimental, in active development, will
>         support  multiple brokers and topologies, perhaps a pointer to a
>         wiki page with the current TODO list
>
>       - ZeroMQ - unmaintained and deprecated, planned for removal in
>         Kilo

Sounds like a plan - I'll take on the Qpid and Proton notes.  I've
been (trying) to keep the status of the Proton stuff up to date on the
blueprint page:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo.messaging/+spec/amqp10-driver-implementation

Is there a more appropriate home for these notes?  Etherpad?

>   - Propose this addition to the API docs and ask the operators list
>     for feedback
>
>   - Propose a patch which adds a load-time deprecation warning to the
>     ZeroMQ driver
>
>   - Include a load-time experimental warning in the proton driver

Done!

Ken Giusti  (kgiusti at gmail.com)