[openstack-dev] [nova] Is the BP approval process broken?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 19:44:25 UTC 2014

On 08/27/2014 09:04 PM, Dugger, Donald D wrote:
> I’ll try and not whine about my pet project but I do think there is a
> problem here.  For the Gantt project to split out the scheduler there is
> a crucial BP that needs to be implemented (
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/89893/ ) and, unfortunately, the BP has
> been rejected and we’ll have to try again for Kilo.  My question is did
> we do something wrong or is the process broken?
>
> Note that we originally proposed the BP on 4/23/14, went through 10
> iterations to the final version on 7/25/14 and the final version got
> three +1s and a +2 by 8/5.  Unfortunately, even after reaching out to
> specific people, we didn’t get the second +2, hence the rejection.
>
> I understand that reviews are a burden and very hard but it seems wrong
> that a BP with multiple positive reviews and no negative reviews is
> dropped because of what looks like indifference.

I would posit that this is not actually indifference. The reason that
there may not have been >1 +2 from a core team member may very well have
been that the core team members did not feel that the blueprint's
priority was high enough to put before other work, or that the core team
members did have the time to comment on the spec (due to them not
feeling the blueprint had the priority to justify the time to do a full
review).

Note that I'm not a core drivers team member.

Best,
-jay