[openstack-dev] [all] Design Summit reloaded

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Aug 28 18:21:33 UTC 2014

On 08/28/2014 01:58 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On 08/27/2014 11:34 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 27, 2014, at 8:51 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I've been thinking about what changes we can bring to the Design
>>> Summit format to make it more productive. I've heard the feedback
>>> from the mid-cycle meetups and would like to apply some of those
>>> ideas for Paris, within the constraints we have (already booked
>>> space and time). Here is something we could do:
>>>
>>> Day 1. Cross-project sessions / incubated projects / other
>>> projects
>>>
>>> I think that worked well last time. 3 parallel rooms where we can
>>> address top cross-project questions, discuss the results of the
>>> various experiments we conducted during juno. Don't hesitate to
>>> schedule 2 slots for discussions, so that we have time to come to
>>> the bottom of those issues. Incubated projects (and maybe "other"
>>> projects, if space allows) occupy the remaining space on day 1, and
>>> could occupy "pods" on the other days.
>>
>> If anything, I’d like to have fewer cross-project tracks running
>> simultaneously. Depending on which are proposed, maybe we can make
>> that happen. On the other hand, cross-project issues is a big theme
>> right now so maybe we should consider devoting more than a day to
>> dealing with them.
>
> I agree with Doug here. I'd almost say having a single cross-project
> room, with serialized content would be better than 3 separate
> cross-project tracks. By nature, the cross-project sessions will attract
> developers that work or are interested in a set of projects that looks
> like a big Venn diagram. By having 3 separate cross-project tracks, we
> would increase the likelihood that developers would once more have to
> choose among simultaneous sessions that they have equal interest in. For
> Infra and QA folks, this likelihood is even greater...
>
> I think I'd prefer a single cross-project track on the first day.

So the fallout of that is there will be 6 or 7 cross-project slots for
the design summit. Maybe that's the right mix if the TC does a good job
picking the top 5 things we want accomplished from a cross project
standpoint during the cycle. But it's going to have to be a pretty
directed pick. I think last time we had 21 slots, and with a couple of
doubling up that gave 19 sessions. (about 30 - 35 proposals for that
slot set).

Sean Dague
http://dague.net