[openstack-dev] [infra] [neutron] [tc] Neutron Incubator workflow

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 14:45:26 UTC 2014

On 08/27/2014 04:28 PM, Kevin Benton wrote:
> What are you talking about? The only reply was from me clarifying that
> one of the purposes of the incubator was for components of neutron that
> are experimental but are intended to be merged.

Right. The special unicorns.

 > In that case it might
> not make sense to have a life cycle of their own in another repo
> indefinitely.

The main reasons these "experimental components" don't make sense to
live in their own repo indefinitely are:

a) Neutron's design doesn't make it easy or straightforward to
build/layer other things on top of it, or:

b) The experimental piece of code intends to replace whole-hog a large
chunk of Neutron's existing codebase, or:

c) The experimental piece of code relies so heavily on inconsistent,
unversioned internal interface and plugin calls that it cannot be
designed externally due to the fragility of those interfaces

Fixing a) is the solution to these problems. An incubator area where
"experimental components" can live will just continue to mask the true
problem domain, which is that Neutron's design is cumbersome to build on
top of, and its cross-component interfaces need to be versioned, made
consistent, and cleaned up to use versioned data structures instead of
passing random nested dicts of randomly-prefixed string key/values.

Frankly, we're going through a similar problem in Nova right now. There
is a group of folks who believe that separating the nova-scheduler code
into the Gantt project will magically make placement decision code and
solver components *easier* to work on (because the pace of coding can be
increased if there wasn't that pesky nova-core review process). But this
is not correct, IMO. Separating out the scheduler into its own project
before internal interfaces and data structures are cleaned up and
versioned will just lead to greater technical debt and an increase in
frustration on the part of Nova developers and scheduler developers alike.

-jay