[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Maintenance mode for patching

Dmitry Pyzhov dpyzhov at mirantis.com
Thu Aug 28 14:44:53 UTC 2014

All,

I'm not sure if it deserves to be mentioned in our documentation, this
seems to be a common practice. If an administrator wants to patch his
environment, he should be prepared for a temporary downtime of OpenStack
services. And he should plan to perform patching in advance: choose a time
with minimal load and warn users about possible interruptions of service
availability.

Our current implementation of patching does not protect from downtime
during the patching procedure. HA deployments seems to be more or less
stable. But it looks like it is possible to schedule an action on a compute
node and get an error because of service restart. Deployments with one
controller... well, you won’t be able to use your cluster until the
patching is finished. There is no way to get rid of downtime here.

As I understand, we can get rid of possible issues with computes in HA. But
it will require migration of instances and stopping of nova-compute service
before patching. And it will make the overall patching procedure much
longer. Do we want to investigate this process?