[openstack-dev] [neutron][IPv6] Neighbor Discovery for HA

Veiga, Anthony Anthony_Veiga at cable.comcast.com
Thu Aug 28 14:11:26 UTC 2014

Anthony and Robert,

Thanks for your reply. I don't know if the arping is there for NAT, but I am pretty sure it's for HA setup to broadcast the router's own change since the arping is controlled by "send_arp_for_ha" config. By checking the man page of arping, you can find the "arping -A" we use in code is sending out ARP REPLY instead of ARP REQUEST. This is like saying "I am here" instead of "where are you". I didn't realized this either until Brain pointed this out at my code review below.

That’s what I was trying to say earlier.  Sending out the RA is the same effect.  RA says “I’m here, oh and I’m also a router” and should supersede the need for an unsolicited NA.  The only thing to consider here is that RAs are from LLAs.  If you’re doing IPv6 HA, you’ll need to have two gateway IPs for the RA of the standby to work.  So far as I know, I think there’s still a bug out on this since you can only have one gateway per subnet.

http://linux.die.net/man/8/arping

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/114437/2/neutron/agent/l3_agent.py

Thoughts?

Xu Han